Welcome to Bloomberg Law’s Wake Up Call, a daily rundown of the top news for lawyers, law firms, and in-house counsel.
- Social media “lawfluencers” are offering subpar legal advice, finds new research published in the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. Some legal content creators are “significantly influenced by algorithms” on media platforms such as TikTok, according to the paper, which encourages them to push out content that doesn’t meet the required benchmark to be considered professional work or advice. In return, the algorithm rewards them with more views, subscribers and, ultimately, income. (Legal Cheek)
- The lawyer negotiating for the studios in the Hollywood writers’ and actors’ strikes works hard to keep a low profle. Carol Lombardini, a 41-year veteran of Hollywood labor battles, has told colleagues that cultivating a public persona would only undercut her effectiveness at the bargaining table. (The New York Times)
- Since UK immigration lawyer Jacqueline McKenzie was singled out by the UK’s ruling Conservative party, she has received death threats, hate mail and racist abuse. Senior Conservative politicians have railed against immigration lawyers, blaming them for standing in the way of the policies they have designed to halt record numbers of asylum seekers entering the UK. “No lawyer should be criticised, or made the subject of a targeted campaign, for doing their job,” the Law Society and Bar Council said in a rare joint statement. (Financial Times)
Laterals, Moves, In-house
- Jonathan Leiken has joined Dollar Tree, Inc. as executive vice president, chief legal officer, and secretary. He joins from Diebold Nixdorf, Inc.
- Mitch Tiras has joined King & Spalding‘s corporate, finance, and investments practice group as a partner in Houston, Texas. He joins from Locke Lord.
- Michael Lebovitz has joined Eversheds Sutherland as a partner with the tax practice group in San Francisco, Calif. He joins from Mayer Brown.
- Mattheus Stephens has joined Littler Mendelson as a shareholder in the San Diego, Calif., office. He joins from Schor Vogelzang & Chung.
- Zubin Khambatta has joined Holland & Knight as a partner with the healthcare regulatory and enforcement practice group in Austin, Texas. He joins from Perkins Coie.
- Ryan Blackney has joined Thompson Hine as a litigation partner in Chicago. He joins from Smith Gambrell & Russell.
- Alexandra LaCombe has joined Fisher Phillips as a partner in Detroit, Mich.